Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Slowly moving down to the RGV

I arrived back to San Antonio on Sunday, November 18th.  John survived my absence in style: ate out often and picked up a new set of golf clubs for his birthday!  I do believe he’s looking forward to a winter of golfing with Tony, Bill, Fred & Bill…

Late afternoon found us moving across town to Iron Horse RV Service for our appointment tomorrow so that we can get the car set up for towing.  The poor technician had a pretty hard time removing grills and cutting into a brand new car!  They also checked out our “smoky” generator and installed a new AC breaker.  The whole process took a couple of days and on Wednesday morning, November 21st, we moved back to Admiralty.

John ate out again without me on Thanksgiving: the RV park had a potluck, but I wasn’t feeling too good so he went alone.

We spent the next week doing odds ‘n ends, including John’s VA appointment and even went to a movie.  And, washed the car a couple of times.  It just doesn’t do to have a dirty new car!

On Friday, November 29, we drove across town to see John’s dad’s 1974 Airstream trailer that we had sold earlier this year and to give them the Airstream book that we had bought for John’s dad years ago.  Wow!!  It’s really shiny now!


The folks who bought it are really enjoying fixing it up and using it.  It’s always nice to have something like that go to someone who appreciates it.

Afterwards, we wandered down to the Riverwalk to see the Christmas lights.  Beautiful! 



They drape what looks like zillions of lights all over the trees.  The picture isn’t very good but it really is pretty.


Even the Alamo was lit up.


We had a nice leisurely dinner while listening to some Junior High choirs and then headed home.

On Saturday, December 1, we enjoyed a yummy burger place with John’s cousin, Judy & husband, Rick.  On December 2nd, we drove over to Victoria for an overnight visit with RGV friends, Dick & Karin.  And, on Tuesday, December 4, we drove up to Cabela’s in Buda for a quick lunch with our friend, Merle and his new wife, Jan.  (Merle is the guy that we travelled back from Alaska with in September 2008.)  I’ve probably said this several times before, but one of the neatest things about this unusual lifestyle of ours is that we get to see far-flung friends and family lots oftener!

Wednesday December 5: time to travel to Weslaco for what will probably be our last winter in the RGV for at least awhile.  We no longer have the family responsibilities there and it’s getting time to get back to our original travel plan…  So, after a quick trip to the VA for one last appointment, we headed out at 11:45 and arrived at Magic Valley a bit after 5:10 p.m. – 260 miles and now it’s time to settle in for the winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment